Geography also plays an important role in prelims as well as mains of IAS/HAS
Step 1 is to focus on Basics : IAS/HAS always attempt to test your conceptual understanding of the subject. Thus getting hold on the fundamentals should be primary goal.
Step 2 Focus on Facts : Like every other subject geography is filled with facts, names and numbers thus it is important to keep a note of these figures. In fact this section is favorite section of HPPSC
–TRY to focus on topics like
- River System, their tributaries. (questions on Godavari, Brahmaputra and their tributaries have already been asked)
- National park, wildlife Sanctuaries.
- Questions based on minerals, ores etc.
- Climate Change, Indian monsoon.
- Global events like Tsunami, earthquakes, Volcanic eruption with their geographical location
- Agriculture- Cropping Pattern, Soil property
- Facts and figures in world geography
Step 3 CENSUS is very important, when we talk about HAS. Therefore try to prepare this well
- NCERT – Class 11th (New)
- Fundamentals of Physical Geography
- India physical environment
- NCERT – Class 12th (New)
- Fundamentals of Human Geography
- India – People and Economy
- Atlas: Orient BlackSwan or Oxford School Atlas
- Certificate Physical and Indian Geography – Goh Cheng Leong;
- OLD NCERT Geography – Class 11th and 12th